When the clock strikes twelve, the second of December's full moons will illuminate the way to the millennium's second decade. Whether you're in Times Square watching the ball drop or quietly counting down the seconds miles from anywhere, be sure to enjoy it. Once in a blue moon ... and who knows when we'll be back this way again.
Happy New Year. Happy New Decade.
See you, in 2010.
Once in a blue moon. Bjärred, Sweden. (2009).
Six Ways from Sunday is felix's daily starfish and waffles' resident music column. Your mix tape with a theme, clicking on the active links below lead you to full-length, third-party, tracks of the day's musical selections.
As always, happy listening.
1. See the World :: Gomez :: How We Operate (2006). There are still roads left in these shoes - and how about you? In 2010, see the world. "See the world / Find an old-fashioned girl / And when all's been said and done / It's the things that are given, not won / Are the things that you've earned."
2. Insomnia :: Electric President :: Electric President (2006). One of these sleepless nights, maybe a light turns on. "I hope you're learning to listen / And I hope you’re learning to stay / And I hope you find what you're missing / And I hope that you're making you're way."
3. Your Rocky Spine :: Great Lake Swimmers :: Ongiara (2007). Pine-gazing, sparse and jangly, starfish float me away lakeside in that north country folk. "I was moving across your frozen veneer / The sky was dark but you were clear / Could you feel my footsteps / And would you shatter, would you shatter, would you?"
4. It's Not True :: William Fitzsimmons :: Goodnight (2006). New year, new chances. "Should I decide it's true / That you would leave if given half the chance to go and / I'd be left here on my own / To find myself in bed / Wishing everything that changed would be the same."
5. If You Would Come Back Home :: William Fitzsimmons :: The Sparrow And The Crow (2008). No pretentiousness here. Just one wish. "If you would come back home / We could start all over / If you would come back home / I swear it would be better."
6. An Anniversary Away :: Reverie Sound Revue :: Reverie Sound Revue LP (2009). It's getting late; I can't remember the proper analogy now. Something about drifting away to distant shores. Something about the freckles on your face. Something about next year. "Start murmured hearts, and amplify the marks / From questions left to scar, the patterns I depart. / For beds better made, in a city to be named / By the one with the face; I tried to escape ... / I tried to escape."