Sunday, October 04, 2009

the ugly city


The ugly city. Edmonton, Canada. (2009).

***
Six weeks in, there's plenty to say. But to just downright pan the place to oblivion isn't what starfish and waffles is about and, besides, it wouldn't be productive anyway.

So, all I'll say is this.

This, is pretty much playing out as I envisioned it. This, is proving to be a creative sinkhole. This, isn't the answer.

More stories to come.


The skating rink at West Edmonton Mall, the region's biggest tourist attraction. This retail monstrosity and tribute to North American consumerism covers real estate equal to some 48(!) city blocks, and still ranks as the fifth largest shopping mall in the world. Edmonton, Canada. (2009).


The provincial capital. Edmonton, Canada. (2009).

3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Wow, I had no idea that Edmonton was like that. I just loved the city down the road, Calgary.

    Best wishes,

    Skeeter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad day? I think you're giving Edmonton a bad rap because of the 'aim'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skeeter ... as always, my opinions remain my own. Your mileage may vary.

    Donna ... maybe, but I don't think it's just that.

    ReplyDelete