Friday, June 05, 2009

spirit level


Black shadows. Revolutionary art. Le Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporain in Nice, France. (2008).

***
Splitting headaches devolve my early June into a series of long, dark corridors ... all of which seem to be a little off-kilter, at that. Blame it on the rain. Or maybe age. Either way, it wears, and for a moment I can't help but wonder if this is how it ends, an anti-climactic fade of what's largely been an indescribable stay.

From the newsroom: I defended my Master's thesis without incident on Tuesday, thereby fulfilling the official objective of my being overseas. I suppose this should be a reason for celebration - and don't get me wrong, I am pleased - but I suspect most of you knew all along that another paper on the wall was never really what this starfishin' expedition was about in the first place.

Still, was this all a win? I'd say it was a win. But like in mountaineering, getting to the top versus staying there are very different things, and despite best efforts, I'll be descending from the rarefied air soon enough. Too soon, maybe, but pages inevitably turn. And life goes on.

***
Reversing the deluge of goodbyes at semester's end, Jonna came home from Guatemala last week. We go for gelato. This makes me happy, but it takes my insensitive self not 10 minutes before I blurt the most unfair question of them all.

"How was Guatemala?"

She gives an answer, but of course no words can accurately convey her spectrum of experiences ... the people she's met, the places she's seen. I think to myself that Jonna's me in approximately six weeks.

Then, it hits me. Six weeks. Though there's little time left, I'm still not finished here yet ... and with one last gasp to spirit an even happier ending to this thing, the starfishing expedition continues on.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the thesis! I will know how you're feeling before too long when I also "descend the mountain" as you appropriately put it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Blake. Time does go by way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! The best thing you can collect in life is happy memories! Moments that reshape your being you. Catch them and remember them. The future is another chapter.

    We should have a coffee-beer-thing one of the upcomming days. Enjoy what's left!

    //Jonna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jonna! Definitely, coffee-beer-thing soon. We'll talk. :)

    ReplyDelete