Sunday, April 05, 2009

six ways from sunday: telephone


The rock star wide-angle portrait. Malmö, Sweden. (2009).

***
Talk of starting a rock band isn't a new idea here on starfish and waffles, but I tend to be of the opinion that good ideas ought to be hashed and re-hashed over and over again, so here we are (again). And now, a summary of a recent, true-life conversation ...

Me: That picture would make a good album cover for our rock band. You know, if we had a rock band.

Annica: Yes, definitely! Haha, but we don't have a rock band ... or do we??

Me: Well, we could start one. Would Sweden grant me permanent residency if I wrote down "rock star" on the citizenship application?

Annica: Of course they would!

Me: Cool. You can be the lead singer; I want to play the guitar. Chicks dig guys who can play the guitar.

Annica: But I can't sing ... does that matter?

Me: No, we're not one of those rock bands with talent. We succeed because you're hot and I have a great body.

Annica: Oh, right.

Please excuse me while I order frames for all of our future gold records.

***
Six Ways from Sunday is starfish and waffles' intermittently regular (figure that one out, smart guy) music column. Your mix tape with or without a theme, clicking on the active links below lead you to full-length, third-party, YouTube tracks of the day's musical selections. As always, happy listening.


1. Home for a Rest :: Spirit of the West :: Save This House (1990). There seems to be a bit of controversy about the songs at the top. Some of you are curious (how do you choose your #1's?), others skeptical (does being #1 actually mean anything?), while a select few are just plain angry (WTF?? your music sux!!). The editor, unfazed by it all, just shrugs his hunched bear shoulders and cracks open another cold beer. There's a reason he's in charge, see. "You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best / I've been gone for a week / I've been drunk since I left / These so called vacations will soon be my death / I'm so sick from the drink / I need home for a rest."


2. Engine Heart :: Mirah :: You Think It's Like This But It's Really Like This (2000). Obscure? Check. Hook? Check. Ukulele? Check. Sounds like a Six Ways from Sunday candidate to me. (Check). "Be still my heart / Engine turning over won't you start? / This one's come to tear me all apart / Be still my heart."


3. As Is :: Ani DiFranco :: Little Plastic Castle (1998). Ani, a self-declared bisexual, caused quite a stir among a certain demographic of her fanbase back in 1998 when she decided to marry - a man. Betrayal! cried those who played on the all-X chromosome team. Sorry girls, better luck next time. "And I've got no illusions about you / And guess what? I never did / And when I said, when I said I'll take it / I meant, I meant as is."


4. You Had Time :: Ani DiFranco :: Out of Range (1994). Ani, a self-declared bisexual, caused quite a stir among a certain demographic of her fanbase back in 2007 when she decided to remarry - another man. Betrayal! cried those who played on the all-X chromosome team. For those of you keeping score at home: Heteros 2, Team All-X 0. "How can I go home with nothing to say? / I know you're going to look at me that way / And say what did you do out there and what did you decide? / You said you needed time and you had time."


5. Passion Play :: William Fitzsimmons :: Until When We Are Ghosts (2006). Facial hair is back in. Fitzsimmons, who is known by some as simply "The Beard", sports a beard to end all beards. The editor actually had an interview scheduled with Fitzsimmons but was scared off, the poor bear, upon seeing such a frightening mess of facial hair. "Do you hear when I call in the midst of wrong? / Do you hear these here words while I sing this song? / Are you caught up in me like I heard you say? / Or just some big cashier that i'll have to pay?"


6. Wait :: Alexi Murdoch :: Time Without Consequence (2006). Does anyone else see what I did here? Making you wait until the end of this playlist for a song named "Wait"? It's deliciously clever, no? Oh, forget it, never mind. "So if I stumble, and If I fall / And if I slip now, and lose it all / And if I can't be, all that I could be / Will you? Will you wait for me?"

2 comments:

  1. The pics look great. It's been awhile since I've been by the blog. Really enjoyed the photos.

    Cheers,
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Zoe. How are you? Mail me an updated email address, I don't think the one I have on file is current anymore.

    ReplyDelete