Sunday, April 06, 2008

dropping anchor

One might say home is anywhere you find harbour enough to drop anchor for the night. During my short stay in Malta, this would be in the fishing village of Marsaxlokk, situated in southeast corner of this tiny country.


Picturesque Marsaxlokk, with a harbour full of colourful, traditional fishing vessels. (2008).

Marsaxlokk is best known for its brightly painted fleet of fishing boats, which apparently don't look much different than the vessels sailed by the Phoenicians when they ruled this part of the Mediterranean 2500 years ago. The photogenenic harbour makes Marsaxlokk a hit with busloads of camera-toting tourists during the day.

But during the evenings and early mornings, it's just me and the locals, and this is a good thing.

It doesn't take long to get comfortable here. Fisherman bid you good morning as you walk around the bay. The guesthouse manager opens up the restaurant kitchen just because you feel like having a hot English breakfast. The fresh-off-the-boat seafood is served in supersize-me portions.

Marsaxlokk: a place to kick back and relax. Just like at home.


Marsaxlokk in the morning. This port of call is home to over half of the Maltese fishing fleet. (2008).


More Marsaxlokk. (2008).


A local fisherman. Marsaxlokk, Malta. (2008).


Catch of the day, for sale at the Marsaxlokk Sunday Fish Market. (2008).


I don't know why, but I kind of like this picture - it feels very Mediterranean to me. Marsaxlokk, Malta. (2008).


Phoning home using a vintage British phone booth (which are seemingly everywhere here in Malta) and trying to explain to the editor why I'm late with my assignment. Marsaxlokk, Malta. (2008).


A close-up of a luzzu, the trademark traditional Maltese fishing boat. Note the vigilant "Eyes of Osiris," which, according to legend, ward off evil spirits. Marsaxlokk, Malta. (2008).


Marsaxlokk's town church. (2008).

5 comments:

  1. How hard it "Marsaxlokk" to pronounce anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant "is". Tax season is clearly melting my brain...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, amazing colours! I agree with AC, we need a pronounciation guide!! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny because today I was coloring pictures of boats with the students I work with. We made them all bright and vibrant colors. And I thought "wouldn't be cool if there were boats these colors". Now I find that there are. This definitely made my day. :) I am going to have to show them that they do exist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda ... Marsaxlokk is pronounced "Marsa-shlock". Or at least that's how I was saying it. I'm also fumbling around with my taxes. Meh.

    Sohobutterfly ... No doubt, the colours of Marsaxlokk harbour are really something.

    Michelle ... Hi, glad to hear it. It's like you just somehow knew about the boats! :)

    ReplyDelete