Wednesday, January 30, 2008

road warriors

It's Super Bowl XLII week and, as you NFL football diehards are already well aware, the big game pits the dynastic New England Patriots against the upstart New York Giants. Truth be told, I'm not really a fan of either team and this rings especially true for the hated Pats, but I suppose that's fodder for another post. For today, anyway, I only want to talk about the Giants.


The elegant architecture of the Nordiska Museet in Stockholm, Sweden. (October 2007). Sometimes it's best to break the pattern at home - no longer how nice it may seem - by going on the road for awhile.

Based on their gritty play towards the latter part of this season, I have come to grudgingly respect the underdog New York Giants. They never seem to quit, and much of their best work has come in the hostile environs of another team's home stadium.

Interesting statistic: the Giants have a rather impressive 10-1 won-loss record on the road, versus a mediocre 3-5 record at home. This is pretty unusual. Are these guys road warriors or merely home disadvantaged? Perhaps it's a little bit of both.

Sometimes I feel like a can relate, which is why I'll be taking my show on the road for a few days. Who knows? Maybe any positive momentum I can generate as a visitor will put me in a better position to succeed in the big game at home, so to speak. Or, if not, at the very least I'm travelling again.

May the Mediterranean sun shine down on Nice, Monaco, and the Côte d'Azur.

See you next week.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget that the Giant's kicked off the season with a win on the road...and over the pond!!!

    Be quite remarkable to have played in the first overseas NFL game ever to knocking off the first 18 game undefeated team since the 1972 Dolphins. You'd never lose a spot in history after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the game? I saw the fourth quarter - at 4am, in France. What a win by the Giants! What a game!

    ReplyDelete