Thursday, October 25, 2007

going pro

When I was 13, I was one of the tallest and strongest kids on my basketball team, and it allowed me to be something of a menace in the low post, if I do say so myself. I could rebound, block shots, set hard screens and, especially, foul ... and how! I easily led my team in fouls and foul outs. One coach even nicknamed me "Animal".


It's a new day: another colourful sunrise outside my sixth-floor, dorm room window in Lund, Sweden. (2007). Sometimes, it's a bit bizarre how circumstances guide us to the spot where we see what we see, and do what we do.

Well, with an MO like that, you can see why I thought I had a bright future in basketball, and I (hoop)dreamed of one day prowling the pro hardwood of the NBA so I could make millions gooning superstars such as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird. Oh, it was going to be sweet. (And one!)

But then a funny thing happened on the road to bounceyball bliss: I stopped growing. And more importantly, so did my basketball skills. By the time I was 16, I was relegated to the end of the bench. A short time after, my illustrious basketball career died a quiet and unceremonious death, and I was forced to pursue other careers.

A whole slew of other professions followed ... flipping burgers ... reading news on the radio ... investing other people's money in the stock market ... and, of course, writing for a bear.

Well, as of today, I'm proud to say we can add another one to the list: taking pictures!

We've just received word from Alamy, a UK-based photostock agency, that our initial portfolio submission of original dingobear photography (as previously seen here at starfish and waffles) has cleared quality control, which means we've officially thrown our hat in the highly competitive ring of stock photography. To us, this is more exciting than John Chaney's famed matchup zone!

Ok, now for a shameless, full-court press, sales pitch. Looking for photographs to suit your online, print media, and billboard needs? I'm your guy. Be sure to check out the images we have on sale at Alamy by clicking here or on the permanent link on the left sidebar of this webpage. Alternatively, you can always send us an email - and we'll cut you a deal. Customer satisfaction guaranteed, or I'll be mauled by the editor.

Final thoughts: (1) I'm going to have to start travelling more because now, it'll be a tax write-off. Yes! (2) The quest for world domination by me and the editor through our media empire and in-your-face philanthropy lives. Yes!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Felix! You do take abnormally fantastic pictures. Good luck with the new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! All of your stuff is great...They should buy the whole lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another keeper. It reminds me of the grandiose Saskatchewan dawn. It is an eye-opener. It is a sweet memory to keep. The editor would be proud. Mmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fabulous! So very happy for you. I always love seeing your pictures and now many other people will have the chance to love them as well.


    P.S. Don't forget slopitch player to your list of professions...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cori ... thanks! I'll need it as stockphotography is a competitive business ...

    Rebecca ... thank you, right now, I'll just be happy if someone buys one photo!

    Zhu Ruiyin ... the editor says that these partly cloudy Swedish skies definitely make for very nice sunrises!

    Donna ... thanks, let's hope that over the upcoming weeks and months, a few of these photos sell!

    ReplyDelete