Friday, August 24, 2007

malmö summer nights

My roommate ditched me tonight, but I guess she shouldn't be responsible for all of the blame (only, say, about 90%) since I was, well, two hours late. Or maybe two-and-a-half, but who's counting? I went to the Malmöfestivalen anyway, and brought my camera with me ... a few shots I took are posted below.


The highly-regarded Swedish indie rock band, Mando Diao, plays an electric set on the big stage at Malmöfestivalen 2007.

Malmö is Sweden's third-largest city, and it's conveniently located only 15 minutes down the train tracks from my new homebase in Lund. I was fortunate enough to arrive in Sweden during the week of the much talked about Malmöfestivalen, which is the country's biggest (and best) city festival. Featuring food, rides, and live music for all tastes, the festival annually attracts summer crowds totaling into the seven figures.

The best part? Everything (except for the food and booze) is free.

This, of course, is good news for poor students like me.


More Mando Diao in Malmö.


And yet even more.


Malmöfestivalen attracts big summer crowds ...


... and also guys who play the accordion.


Swedish folk band Tidig Tisdag on the Jeriko stage at Malmöfestivalen 2007.


Festival crowds on Södergatan in central Malmö.

4 comments:

  1. wow. those are such great shots. and wow your really there! wow. :) I hope your having a good time. you are so brave! I'm not sure I would ever be able to do it on my own. I love to travel but I would rather have someone with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jealousy is already building. Looks like so much fun!

    I really like the shot of the accordian player for some reason. Music and cobblestones.Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK! Where are those cute Scandinavian chicks we all talk about? Aren't you supposed to be going to school there? This couldn't be one of those grass root studying tours? I'm glad you have so much fun over there.I would love to go with you Katie. Give me 3 months to learn to speak Swedish first. It can't be that difficult to learn, can it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie ... thanks! I was pleasantly surprised at how many of the concert shots actually turned out ... because I was near the back, I actually shot many of them blind with the camera over my - not easy to do in a crowd! I'm absolutely having a great time in Sweden. Sure, there are challenges, but I guess it's all part of the experience.

    -c ... it is tons of fun here! When are you coming for a visit? I like the shot of the accordion player too. I flipped him 10 kronor so I could take a shot but unfortunately only one turned out ok.

    Zhu Ruiyin ... the cute Scandinavian girls are everywhere here! So many, many beautiful women. The Swedish language is a difficult one to learn, probably helps if you already know German or Danish or Norwegian.

    ReplyDelete