Wednesday, March 28, 2007

hologram


Weeping willows line the moat of Himeiji-jo (Himeiji Castle) in Himeiji, Japan. (2002). Photo taken with my Olympus Stylus 35mm.

***
She stood at the front of the store waiting, watching the post-Christmas shoppers go by. I thought she looked incredible, like always. My mind snapped a picture, just before I took a deep breath and mustered up the courage to say hello.

Years later, I returned to where we had started, but she wasn't there. I suppose, in the absence of divine intervention, this was to be expected. After all, dissolving memories had long since filled in the distance between time and space ... and, on this night, it was far beyond too late.

But, still, I remembered ... and a small part of me still hoped that she did, too.

5 comments:

  1. Awww... like the hottie who locks eyes with you at the metro stop or the chill stranger who laughs at the same observed couple arguing in public about wheat thins...

    yes- awww...

    By the way, nice picture. I wouldn't mind a visit to Himeiji right now. I think the cherry blossoms are almost ready for a good picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi -c, thanks. Too bad I didn't have a better camera when I went to Japan. I think a picnic under the cherry blossoms in Himeiji sounds great ... I'll bring the fried chicken and pop (soda) if you bring the club sandwiches and peach cobbler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet she does ;)

    That picture is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the cracked pepper wheat thins are SO much better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie ... thanks.

    Amanda ... well, there's nothing wrong with cracked pepper wheat thins. How about you bring along the crackers with a healthy helping of lard-soaked fries? Now we've got a picnic.

    ReplyDelete