Thursday, January 25, 2007

plug 'n' play

I'm walking south down a residential street in Reykjavík, Iceland, not so much because I know where I'm going, but more to avoid facing the bone-chilling, Arctic wind which is howling at my back. Sure, it's supposed to be spring - but when you're in the northernmost capital city in the world, it's wise to adjust your expectations accordingly.


In Reykjavík, Iceland, funky statues can pop up at any turn. (2006). I took this photo with my Olympus SP-310 on a cold, May morning. For other posts on my trip to the North Atlantic last year, click here.

Still, as I put my hood up to cover my ears, I can't help bitterly muttering to myself: "Next time, how about picking a warm-weather country to visit?" You see, sometimes I'm about as brilliant as a guy who, well, bitterly mutters to himself. Umm, yeah.

Anyway, I keep shivering down the road and, eventually, I happen to stumble upon a captivating, unmarked statue. I'm immediately intrigued. Who created it? Where did it come from? Why is it here?

I need answers! But it soon becomes apparent that I have none.

Completely defeated by this mystery, I drop to my knees and cry to the heavens, "Oh, won't somebody please send me a sign!!" ...

***
Now, if I were a real travel writer, I'd be able to finish the above story without you falling asleep. But, alas, I am not a real travel writer. As a result, the editor has ordered me back to school and signed me up for Amanda Castleman's online travel writing course, over at writers.com.

If I manage to successfully graduate without getting myself kicked out of class first, will it mean I have become a real-life, travel writer? Probably, no. But that's ok since becoming a travel writer isn't the ultimate goal - all I really want is to be able to impersonate a travel writer. Besides, if the course ends up being half as much fun as Amanda's blog, I figure it'll be worth the price of admission. I'll let you know how it all turns out in the end.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the taking the course. I'm sure it will be a success for you and the editor. I can see it.

    I love the statue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a great statue. I love it. I'll have to look it up now and see if I can find anything about the artist.

    good luck with your course! your such a good writer already it will only help to improve your skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe ... thanks, I'm really looking forward to the course - should be interesting, a bit challenging, and a nice change of pace. I think it's a great statue, too.

    Katie ... thanks for the compliment! And let me know if you find any info on the statue.

    Rebecca ... haha, great profile pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will make a superb Impersonating travel writer! Being as that I plan on doind with my life as well, maybe we can work together sometimes. You know, more credibility in numbers:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, -c! Hmmm, that's an interesting arrangement you seem to be proposing ... let's further explore this, I think we could be great partners-in-crime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a travel writer, but I play one on TV...

    OK, I lie. I earn enough at this racket for coffee and cashmere.

    Glad you made the class, DB! It filled freakishly early this term, so we're debating between double sessions or a wait-list.

    See you at "school" – Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, teacher! I'm glad I made the class, too ... but if there's another class where you get to learn how to play a travel writer on TV, can I transfer into that one instead? Because I definitely think I have what it takes to be a big TV star!

    Haha, seriously though, I'm looking forward to the class - it'll be fun.

    ReplyDelete