Tuesday, August 22, 2006

the last four-dimensional bloom of summer

If you've logged in at any point in the last few weeks, you probably noticed that things around the offices of starfish and waffles have been pretty quiet. Chalk it up to the late summer doldrums or a wicked bend in the space-time continuum but, in any event, we're back now. And we're glad you're still here with us.


Take time to enjoy the last bloom of summer before it inevitably fades into fall. In the picture above, the famous editor of felix's daily starfish and waffles shows you how.

***
Altitude
May 2006. Flying at 37,000 feet over Greenland, en route to Boston from Reykjavik. Seated next to me in the coveted window seat is Ladawn, the blonde-haired / steely-blue-eyed / warm-hearted / outgoing head nurse of the massive NATO air force base at Keflavik, Iceland. I envision scenes from M*A*S*H, with scores of war wounded. No, Ladawn says - it's basketball injuries - I'd ban basketball, she says. This girl is a year younger than me but even at 37,000 feet, she's at least a summer wiser.

Length
As the shadows grow longer and the days grow shorter, somewhere in this August the answer lies. Finding and/or believing it, however, requires a reach of sorts, a leap of faith. Maybe it depends on how you view things. Maybe it was never meant to be. Maybe things change in September.

Depth
I daydreamed that there were reporters asking me questions, and I only replied with two answers, more or less. Specifically: "I'm human. But I'm a good one." I woke up in a daze, which is weird, because I was never asleep to begin with.

Time
They explained it to me this way - of course time moves faster as you get older. When you're only a year old, the summer that's just passed you by comprised 25% of the life you've already lived or, relatively-speaking, a really long time. When you're 28 years old, the summer that's just come and gone ... well, that's less than 1%.

Time. Like the last bloom of summer, it feels like I'm running out of it.

5 comments:

  1. A wonderful picture .... captures the truly handsome editor in his natural environment and light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed (as usual!) with this eloquent post.

    I know EXACTLY how you feel in regards to time. I just went through a "pre-life crisis" phase where I needed a huge change to feel like an active participant in my life. Moving across the country has helped to muffle that ticking clock...

    I can't wait for the mid-life crisis where I go bald and buy a Corvette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me ... thanks! Though the editor tells me he's more cute than handsome.

    Long Division ... thanks, also. I don't even know where I came up with this post - 2006 has been a rollercoaster year, in addition to being the fastest one to date. Am I suffering from the quarter-life crisis or what, eh? On a happier note, the thought of a bald, middle-aged you in a Corvette ... well, all I can say is: "Wow, that's hot!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey dingobear- sorry I've been away from the blosgosphere for a long time, but wanted to dive in for a second and tell you what a great post this was!

    My life has been pretty crazy recently, moving and starting a new job/life. This posts makes me remember how important it is to stop every once in a while to process and reflect. Beautifully expressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi -c, thanks for your comments - and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to drop in! Hopefully you're enjoying your new digs? Best of luck to you in your new job!

    ReplyDelete