Thursday, April 27, 2006

you can always depend on the kindness of strangers

According to my website traffic tracker, the majority of the people who arrive here at felix's daily starfish and waffles by accident via Google or Yahoo! are actually in search of pictures of starfish. However, we've never posted any starfish pics before, which has always made me feel like kind of a fraud. Happily, though, tonight this all changes.


Finally, what you've all been clamouring for: a starfish. Look how happy the girl is in the picture above about finding her starfish. I love that.

***
At the risk of making this blog sound like, well, a blog (which generally goes against the style favoured by my editor), I nevertheless pose the following for our readers to ponder ...

Say, hypothetically-speaking, you're a twentysomething professional who's successful by most accounts. You have a well-paying job on a career track you've worked hard to get on, and it allows you to do stuff like, say, travel to faraway places like Iceland. However, say, depending on what side of the bed you fell out of this morning, there are some days where you feel like there's something missing, like you haven't found your starfish yet, so to speak.

So, let's say - hypothetically of course - on one of these said mornings you began looking at other options like, say, applying to do some graduate school here, in a program which, in a logical world, you would have no business being accepted into and is in no way linked to, or helpful in advancing, the career you're in now.

But let's say, for the sake of argument, it isn't, in fact, a logical world and by some fluke of circumstance, four months after you applied, they hypothetically informed you that ... you got in!

Hypothetically, it would seem that you have a big decision to make. Because trying to decide on risking what you know, however imperfect that it is, to look for a starfish that might not even exist, can keep you up far too late at night. Say, kind of like right now.

So ... what would you do? (Hypothetically-speaking, of course).

***
In a related story, I could really use a plate of waffles right about now. Mmmm, waffles.

12 comments:

  1. I would go for it. You always regret what you don't do. You rarely regret actually doing it. Hypothetically speaking that is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit, Felix...I work with you and play slo-pitch with ya, and I had to find out that you may be leaving Canada for the sunny confines of Sweden via your blog on the internet?!?!?

    Why, this is an outrage...in fact, there is only one thing I can say!

    TAKE ME WITH YOU, 'CAUSE SWEDISH BABES ARE HOT. JUST DON'T TELL CORI

    My advice: you've always had a wanders / travelers spirit and I don't think that will change. But is it the travel / excitement part of this that you're looking for, or something else?

    Canada is a good "home base" and you're already established here. Maybe you should look at that whole "reduced pay thing" here at work, and then take a year long sabbatical to do the travel thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felix - you got in! I knew it. I knew they would accept you - didn't I tell you exactly that during our meal at Buon Thai a few months ago?

    You should see if you can take one-year leave of absence from work. Some schools allow you to delay your admission for a year or two - is that an option here?

    Selfishly, I'm sad. But that's just me, your selfish friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should absolutely hypothetically go. That's my final answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone, thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them. Right now, I'm pretty much 50-50 as to whether or not to take the leap. Lots more to think about. I'll keep you posted ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say...This person should go in search of their theoretical starfish. It's out there. Go find it! Hypothetically, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rebecca, thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! what fun! being as I am a hopeless travel junkie, you probably already know my two cents....
    this is hardly even a question. but.. whatever you do, make sure you continue blogging! Some of us sitting in sweaty bus stations in Chiapas, Mexico couldn´t handle it if we couldn´t get a quick dose of starfish and waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. -c!! How's sunny Mexico? Chiapas? You didn't run away and join the Zapatista, did you?

    Ok, I promise. Whether I end up in Scandinavia or staying in North America, starfish and waffles will live on. The bear will see to that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, I think that girl looks so happy because she's a super hot girl in a bikini being photographed. (In addition to the wonders of the starfish, I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh sure, LD, just go ahead and ruin my entire hypothesis about the starfish. (Haha, but yeah, I'll admit the girl is pretty hot.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you want to eat me?

    ReplyDelete