Saturday, March 25, 2006

torii!

It came before me in a dream. We held a "guess the location of the photo contest" here at felix's daily starfish and waffles, and the winner came away with untold riches. Exactly what kind of untold riches, you ask? Why gold and platinum, of course. And where did the untold riches come from? Mostly my opium money.


I took this photo at sunrise with my Kodak F300 camera. Try to guess where this is. You have absolutely no idea, do you? Haha, I thought so. Don't even try to guess. You are going to be soooo wrong.

Because I always obey my subconscious like one of those new Japanese servant robots, I thought it might be fun to hold the contest. Instructions ... see the photo above ... read the following riddle haiku hint ...

Torii - but from where?
No, not from an island but
A peninsula

... and click on the comments link below* to guess the location of the photo. Fame and fortune await the first person who guesses correctly!

* By the way, don't even think of accusing me of being a "fat comment slut" for directly asking you to post a comment because (1) I'm quite fit and have never been fat and (2) you are under no obligation to comment. You smart ass, you.

5 comments:

  1. OK, dingobear, you better start making some more opium runs. cuz I'm not settling for anything less than enough bounty to fund exploration and debauchery for my 20-yr, round-the-world trip I've got planned.

    I'm gonna go with Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sony with a stylish red scarf25 March, 2006 12:40

    Foolish, foolish .... kinichiwa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Dingobear, for introducing me to such phrases as "fat comment slut". And I don't think you are one, but it's good to know that I can whip that at someone who is.

    Shimoda? (or somewhere else in Izu?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over 100 website hits over the last couple of days and only 4 of you were brave enough to guess? How very, very disappointing.

    -c, anonymous, sony, and long division, however ... gold stars for all of you - you're obviously better people than everybody else. Unfortunately, in spite of a couple of pretty good guesses, I regret to inform that all four of you were WRONG!

    The torii in the picture in question is situated on Town Beach overlooking Roebuck Bay in Broome, Western Australia (the peninsula being the Broome Peninsula, which, itself, sits on the larger Dampier Peninsula in The Kimberly region of far northwest Australia). Now you might ask what a Japanese torii is doing at the edge of the Aussie outback ... once upon a time, Broome was an important pearling port, and for whatever reason, most of the pearl divers in town happened to be Japanese. Or at least that's what they told me when I asked. As for Broome, all I can say is go there if you get the chance. You'll love it. Trust me.

    http://www.broomevisitorcentre.com.au

    So sadly (hehehe) no opium money for anybody. Better luck next time, folks!

    Fat Comment Slut out.

    ReplyDelete