Friday, February 17, 2006

the olympics should give out medals for watching the olympics

Because, for sure, I'd contend for the gold. I'll admit it ... I've been an Olympic-watching junkie ever since I first caught glimpse of the '84 Los Angeles Games on TV as a bright-eyed six-year old. I tell ya, between work, watching the Olympics and living life, there just aren't enough hours in a day. It's late here and I really should be getting to bed, but right now the CBC is replaying the Canada-Germany hockey game from earlier today ...


Does anybody else think that the medals they're handing out at the Torino Games look like CDs? Canadian cross-country skiiers Beckie Scott and Sara Renner celebrate their silver medals after the Women's Team Sprint competition. Interesting story: it looked like the Canadians were doomed to finish off the medal podium when Renner broke a ski pole halfway into the race. But in a nice display of sportsmanship, a Norwegian coach came to rescue and handed Renner a replacement pole. The Canadians recovered and finished second. The irony? The Norwegian team ended up in fourth, just outside of the medals.


This is actually a photo from the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. German superstar Anni Friesinger and an unidentified Dutch skater (Tonny de Jong?) duel in the Women's 5000m.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'd agree that the medals are looking a little cheap, CD-esque...
    I also feel like I may have accidentally ordered a bronze Olympic medal from Dunkin Donuts last week...tasted good, but was tough to pocket..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canada wins the overall medal title!!!!


    Uh...that is, if you include all the "copper" (or, if you prefer, "tin") medals that we're winning.

    A total of 8 4th place finishes these games!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt, there have been plenty of 4th place finishes for the home team. You know, if I were an Olympic athlete, I think I'd almost prefer to finish last rather than finish fourth and just miss out on a medal, no matter how much the medal looks like a donut from Dunkin Donuts or Tim's.

    ReplyDelete