Thursday, October 20, 2005

x + y = 1


X&Y
Coldplay
(2005)

By now, you know who these guys are. Coldplay's meteoric rise to rock 'n' roll superstardom has been rather remarkable. If the spacey dreampop of Parachutes was the revelation and the vivid soundscapes of A Rush of Blood to the Head the amplification, then surely the earnest passion of X&Y is the confirmation.

Arguably the most eagerly anticipated new music release of 2005, it was virtually impossible for X&Y to live up to the hype, fanfare, and expectations. And while it might be true that X&Y may not even be Coldplay's best record to date (A Rush of Blood to the Head would have my vote), the album is ultimately impressive in its emotional and refined delivery.

Clearly, this is an album that establishes Coldplay in the starry firmament of the world's megabands. In fact, I'll even take it one step further. Congratulations, Coldplay: felix's daily starfish and waffles has just declared you to be the biggest rock band on the planet.

dingobear track selections:

2. What If. Simple lyrics, melodic composition, anthemic chorus. Vintage Coldplay. "What if you should decide / That you don't want me there by your side / That you don't want me there in your life?"

3. White Shadows. Guy Berryman's work on the guitar here is worthy of The Edge.

5. Talk. A stunning showstopper. Incorporates a sample from Kraftwerk, the German electronica icon. "Oh brother, I can't get through / I've been trying to reach you 'cause I don't know what to do / Oh brother, I can't believe it's true / I'm so scared about the future / And I want to talk to you."

7. Speed of Sound. Album's first single. Not the strongest track on the record but enough to warrant a mention here.

11. Swallowed In The Sea. A rueful return for sure, but to her open arms? "I can write a song / A hundred miles long / Well, that's where I belong / And you belong with me."


Coldplay is Jon Buckland, Chris Martin, Guy Berryman, and Will Champion.

Album reviews are a regular feature on felix's daily starfish and waffles. Click here for reviews of Endtroducing ... by DJ Shadow, Diamonds on the Inside by Ben Harper, and Asianblue by Emm Gryner; here for a review of Back to Mine by Everything But The Girl; or here for a review of Pass In Time by Beth Orton.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, My name is danny. Your Blog is beatiful. La verdad no se ingles pero me gustaria saber lo que pusiste sobre Coldplay porque yo soy fan de ellos. pasate por mi blog: www.todos-en-contra.blogspot.com Suerte!!

    ReplyDelete