Sunday, October 23, 2005

lancelin 6044

The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to return soup at a deli. But Toby didn't care. And neither did I.


Lancelin, Western Australia. (2000). I took Toby out for a walk along the beach on a blustery June afternoon. He's a lucky dog: I wish my backyard had this much fine, ivory-white sand for me to play around in.

About an hour's drive north of Perth along the Indian Ocean coast lies Lancelin, a sleepy little crayfishing (that's Aussie for "lobsterfishing") port and emerging resort. Population: 600. Come for the lobster, windsurfing, and sandboarding. Sleep at the Lancelin Lodge, the finest backpackers' hostel in Australia and home of Toby, the playful Yellow Labrador retriever in the picture above. Stay for the gorgeous ivory-white sand, turquoise water, and quiet ambience. Now that I'm just another minion in the big-city rat race of work and career, sometimes I wish I were back in Lancelin, where time seemed to move a little bit slower.

Click here or here for travel stories previously posted on felix's daily starfish and waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment